News

Next Meetings / Events

March 7th

March 21st

April 4th

Set up from 11:00 – meeting from 12:00 – all cleared and tidied up by 15:00

See Calendar for the full list of meetings and demonstrations planned for 2024

Headlines from Meeting February 22nd

A potential new member, Jack, introduced to the group.

Mary has for sale a Foredom flexible shaft rotary tool – the ‘Rolls Royce’ of such
tools. Has both drilling and carving attachments and a selection of cutting/carving
tips. See Mary if interested.

Something to think about: Should we have some form of mentored training for new inexperienced members ?
We did have a ‘training manual’ some years ago but this has not been used for some
time and we tend to always look to Mick, Clifford or Eric to support new members. We’ll pick the point up again in the near future.

+++ not turning but of possible interest – and FREE !!

Clifton & Lighcliffe Brass Band have 2 events coming up which might be of interest
to Members. Both are at St Martin’s Church in Brighouse.

The first is next Tuesday 27th Feb at 7-30pm and is an open rehearsal for the Yorkshire
Area Qualifying Contest (for the National in Cheltenham later in the year)

The second is the Band’s annual event which was postponed from last December and is
now on Saturday 27th April at 2-30 pm. Good rousing brass-band stuff here with both the
main and ‘B’ bands taking part !!

Headlines from Meeting February 8th

Meeting shortened in view of the adverse weather

Following the discussion re Steb Centres at the last meeting, 2 new ones have been purchased. Actually ‘Crown’ centres from RDG Tools. Both M2, 1″ diameter, 1 live for tailstock use..

John has booked Chris Parker for our demonstration and annual competition on November 28th.

Headlines from Meeting January 25th

British Hardwoods are having their next Open Day on 3rd February.

Details for the Newark Show (8th & 9th March) have been circulated.

John has booked Dan Smith of Taylors of Mirfield for our September demonstration.

Some ‘flyers’ were available with details of Beverstock Ltd who are bandsaw blade suppliers.

A general discussion re Steb Centres and whether or not they should always have a sprung centre!!  It was agreed that they should – although probably useable OK on softer woods without one. The Club centres will be checked and replaced as necessary (one has been found to not ‘spring’ which is what provoked the discussion.)

Headlines from Meeting January 11th

Following the Christmas lunch John R and David B did a review of what went well and what needs to be revised if we did the same again next year (e.g. making sure we could get both ovens to work !) Member comments were invited and the common comment was the problem with keeping the room at a constant temperature.

A ‘well in advance’ notice: the Church is having an event in May to mark a significant anniversary and we have been invited to have a small display. More to come but we’ll be looking for some display pieces.

Steve J has completed an inventory of our small tools – thanks to Steve for doing that. Over the next couple of meetings we’ll be checking over what we have or possibly need but if anyone has any thoughts of any small tools we don’t have but which would be useful please let Steve or David B know.

A reminder for any ‘6 monthly payer’ yet to pay their subs to get it to Mary asap.

John Mitchell has decided that he will concentrate on carving and so has left the Club .

Potential new member Dave introduced to Members.

British Hardwoods are having their next Open Day on 3rd February.

Headlines from Meeting December 14th

Lovely Xmas Lunch enjoyed by all. Big thanks from everyone to the ‘Star Team’ of David, John and June for arranging such a super feast. Especial thank you to June for making the Xmas cake, to Mick for organising the quiz and to Mary for running the raffle!

Have a very Merry Xmas, one and all. See you in the New Year!

Headlines from Meeting November 30th

Results of Club Competition judged by Rick Dobney

+++Rick did comment on the overall high standard so thanks to all who entered.

+++Certificates, cups – and cash at the Christmas lunch !!

Beginners – Doug Haigh Trophy

7 members in this category. 2 entries from 1 member. John Reilly thus took 1st and 2nd (note that Rick was not aware that they were both from John and assessed both pieces as of a good standard)

1st Sycamore Bowl

2nd Pen

Intermediates – Gerry Yates Trophy

2 members in this category. No entries

Advanced – John Boyle Trophy

16 members in this category. 15 entries from 8 members

1st Clifford Clarke with a Burr Elm Bowl

2nd Dennis Carr with a Cherry Bowl

Bob Boyce Trophy

All members (26) eligible. 10 entries from 6 members

1st Michael Watmough – Ash Bowl

2nd Clifford Clarke – Elm Bowl

Headlines from Meeting November 23rd

1) Live on Record Power this evening is Emma Cook – her demonstration is similar to the one she did for us on her last visit

2) Members were advised of the imminent closure of Stiles & Bates (although their wood blanks supply is being taken over by another company). It would seem from Member comment that they are selling out fast so if you were thinking of buying anything then don’t delay !

3) Our next meeting is a demonstration and our Annual Competition so any cup-holders please make sure to bring them to the next meeting.

4) We’ve sold off a few more surplus items and raised another £60 for Club funds

5) As for previous meetings a selection of magazines on the front table – ‘take-read-return’

6) Note that there is just one week to our next meeting as the date had to be advanced since the Church required the hall

Headlines from Meeting November 9th

1) Ebay selling of our surplus O&S have recently raised approx £60 for Club funds- and we have a few more things to dispose of!

2) John R has recently put together our 2024 Calendar. We had to amend our original plan to fit some requirements from the Church but we now have an agreed plan. We have been able to keep to our ‘every alternate week’ although it does mean that we have a meeting the week of the Great Yorkshire Show. Special thanks to John R for resolving the date conflicts with the Church. See here for 2024 Calendar

3) Christmas lunch details have been circulated, bookings not later than our next meeting please.

4) Selling the Nova chuck spanners on EBay has turned out to be not worth the effort! In the absence of any interest from Members the remainder are to go to scrap metal.

5) Wood Turning magazines on front table – usual, take-read-return

6) Not directly OTC business but a recent theft from a Member’s brother’s garage provokes the reminder to Members whose workshops are separate from their main residence to check their domestic insurance as usually separate buildings only have limited cover.

Headlines from Meeting October 26th

1) The replacement spindle locks have arrived so we now have a full complement. They cost us just over £10 each.

2) Members should have received the Minutes of the Committee meeting we held during the last meeting. When we revised the Constitution we put in the requirement to have a minimum of 2 ‘Formal’ meetings each year so this was the first – the last formal and minuted Committee meeting was 5/04/2016 !!

3) Members were reminded of the ‘Project Folder’ – which is a white binder about 2” thick and which is kept on the store-room shelf. This contains all the project drawings which were in the Training Manual(s) plus others including many donated by Paul Wheeler.

4) Wood Turning Magazines on the front table – as usual read-return

5) We now have the price for the Xmas lunch , we’ve rounded it up to £16 to give a little extra towards the soft drinks. A booking form will be circulated in the near future for return not later than 30th Nov meeting.

Headlines from Meeting October 12th

The Members sent their best wishes to Steve H for a speedy recovery.

It seems that we are missing 2 spindle lock pins – probably they got mixed up with shavings and ended up in the waste sack. Replacements are to be ordered from Axminster. Would Members please make sure the lock pins are in place when cleaning down.

John R has circulated an email regarding surplus tables available via Dave J.

A white stone grinding wheel available on the front table donated by Mick , £5 for Club funds – thank you to Mick.

After a brief discussion it was agreed that we will keep to the same overall menu as last year for the Christmas Lunch. David B will contact the caterer and get a confirmed price.

The minutes of the Committee meeting held today have been forwarded to Members by email. Copies are also available from the Hon. Secretary, John R.

Headlines from Meeting September 28th

Two potential members , Robin and Ian , were introduced.

There has been no response to the email re the silver ring which was found in the hall after our last meeting so it would seem that, in spite of the timing of it’s finding, it does not belong to any of our members.

The band-saw is now fully operational – drive belt replaced and a new blade fitted. A special thanks to Eric for doing all the work.

Members should ensure that any visitors are aware of the Club Health & Safety guidelines  (a copy now on the inside of the store-room door) and also that the Club Insurance does not cover personal accidents – not paranoia on the part of the Committee just a prudent move after a couple of incidents at other clubs.

The two thin edged bowls which Ian turned in the last demo were shown to illustrate the amount of ‘warp’ they had exhibited on drying out.

Robin is looking for some sycamore to make some honey dippers for charity shop sale – anything better than ½” diameter by 3” long appreciated.

We have now had printed some Club ‘Business Cards’ with our location, website and email address details. These will be taken to shows such as the Power Tool or Great Yorkshire Shows where casual conversation sparks an interest in the Club.

The unused Wickes folding workbench offered for sale created considerable interest – and a very rapid sale!

Headlines from Meeting September 14th

No Parish Notes this time round.

A good demonstration session from Ian Clarkson – thanks to John R for arranging it and to Gerry & Lee for the video work.

A special shout out for Eric who forwent watching the demonstration and spent the whole session in the storeroom fixing the Band Saw. What a star!

Headlines from Meeting August 31st

At the request of the Church, we have had to reschedule our December Demonstration and the Annual Competition as the Hall is required for the 2023 Christmas Food and Toy Bank. Fortunately John R. has been able to contact our demonstrator, Rick Dobney, and he has agreed to the date change – special thanks to John for sorting this out so quickly.

Frank J. visited the meeting bringing with him his tools for sale – post meeting note: we have had a very nice ‘Thank you’ email from Frank expressing his appreciation .

The LED batten light under the shelf in the store room is at long last operational and has proved to give a much improved light to the lower shelves.

It seems that the AWGB have made a bit of a muddle of amending John R’s address – which is why we have not been receiving the ‘Revolutions’ magazine. The problem now seems to be fixed and copies of the latest edition are on the front table.

Also on the front table are assorted editions of ‘Wood Turning’ magazine – ‘Take-read-return’ !

The band-saw is temporarily out of action with a snapped drive belt. A new belt is on order and Eric is in the process of cleaning the saw ready to fit it.

Headlines from Meeting August 17th

We have recently re-done our ‘General Working Practices and Health & Safety’ notes – big thanks
to Gerry for working on them. We’ve also added a list of woods with their toxic properties based (with acknowledgement to Orchard WoodTurners in Sittingbourne).

We will be instituting a ‘Visitor’s Book’ to confirm that any visitors have been made aware
of the H&S position – details to follow when sorted.

The ‘U-tube videos at lunchtime’ has not been forgotten and we’ll start that when the weather
is such that sitting outside will not be an option. If any Members come across and clips outside
the better known ones please let David B know and we can add them to the ‘viewing list’

More veg on the front table thanks to Mick !

There is a ‘Vintage Hand Tool’ event at Carlton Scroop (near Newark) on 14th October, bit of a long drive just for that but worth dropping in if you are anywhere near – copy of flyer here.

As mentioned at the AGM, we are monitoring the cost vs income for the lunch break as the
significant increases in food costs have obviously had an effect. ‘Year to Date’ our costs are
slightly ahead of income. After some discussion it was agreed that, for the moment, we’ll keep
to the £1 but slightly reduce the quantities . We’ll keep it under review and report back in a
few months.

Headlines from Meeting August 3rd

Thanks to Mick for various woodturning magazines and the home grown runner beans!

We are in the process of updating the Club Health & Safety Policy document and this will be circulated to Members. In particular we need to confirm our strategy with regard to Visitors.

Robin is looking for designs/patterns for chess pieces. If anyone can help please contact him direct.

We were very pleased to welcome, as a guest, former member Frank J. Frank has decided to stop woodturning and will be disposing of all his tools and equipment. He will be sending a list and this will be circulated to Members.

The Bob Boyce Trophy. This year the criteria are:

A decorated bowl.

No restrictions on the ‘how’ it is decorated- painted, pyro, carved, inlaid, anything you want!

Dimensions to be: Diameter min 6” max 12”. Height min 2” max 6”

Any questions or clarification required please ask.

Headlines from Meeting July 20th

The final ‘admin’ task from the revised Constitution is that a new form has been created for Officers and Committee members to confirm their acceptance of their role and that they will act in the interests of the Club.  John R is in the process of getting these signed. We are now thus following the Constitution requirements for this – which we have been adrift on in the past.

Noted that David B emails to members with gmail addresses may come from ‘iCloud’ rather than the usual ‘Rosemeade’. This is because of an on-going problem with the server – emails from iCloud are thus ‘legitimate’. 

The email survey re Workshop visits (last ‘Parish Notes’) has been circulated and some replies received. No reply by Friday 28th will be taken as a ‘no’.

At the Great Yorkshire Show last week Clifford took a 2nd and Mick a 4th – congratulations to both!!   (See here for an image of Clifford’s piece).

The topic for this year’s Bob Boyce competition is under consideration and will be announced either next meeting or the one following.

Headlines from Meeting July 6th

**** Extracted from 150th edition of our ‘Parish Notes’ **** (well done, David!)

We have now resolved the minor technical issues with showing U-tube videos via the Church projection system.  From a quick ‘show of hands’ it seems that many Members already watch a variety of U-tube Woodturning Channels so we’ll look for more unusual ones with a view to a trial ‘showing’

A reminder to Members who pay 6 monthly that there subs are now due.

The revised Constitution is now signed and in effect.

John R has circulated information re Taylors and wood available from Wakefield Council  – thanks to John for that.

Another ‘show of hands’ suggested a limited interest in workshop visits. We’ll do a separate (email) survey on this to decide on the way forward.

Headlines from Meeting June 22nd

The Worshipful Company of Turners have recently announced their biennial Competition, the  entries deadline is 18th September. The competition is held in London but with entries nationwide. David B expressed the view that, based on a visit to a previous Exhibition/Competition, we have several members whose work is at least as  good as much of that shown. Details of the entry process available from David B if anyone is interested.

Roger M informed members that Sheffield Woodturning Club have an all-day demo day with Gary Rance this coming Saturday 24th June. Full details on their Club website:      https://sheffieldwoodturningclub.org.uk

Whilst the hot weather persists and provokes more ‘relaxed’ dress code(!!), it was suggested that Members avoid wearing shorts or ‘cut-off’ trousers as , should a chisel fall off the lathe stand, legs are unprotected.

David B and John R are experimenting to see if it is practical to show U-tube demonstrations at meetings possibly over or following lunchtime. This would be in addition to our current Demonstrator programme.

A short EGM was included within the meeting at which the revised Constitution was adopted. The relevant documents can be found here.

Headlines from Meeting June 8th

The Minutes of the recent AGM have been circulated.

The Notice of the EGM to discuss the revised Constitution has been circulated and will be held during the lunchtime break at our next meeting.  It is not expected to take very long.

Following confirmation that we will have our Xmas lunch in the Church Hall, the suggestion re plastic plates was followed up. As from October this year the use of disposable plastic ‘crockery’ is no longer allowed in the UK.  Having given the matter some more thought it would seem that having a better ‘clearing’ system coupled with the fact that the Church have confirmed that we can take the crockery away and do it in a dish-washer would seem to have largely solved the problem.

Mary advises that for those members who pay 6 months in advance that the next payment is due the end of June.

Frank has now resigned as a Member. Brian and Peter are both deemed to have stepped down too.

A possible new Member, John Mitchell, was introduced to the Club. He’ll likely be with us the next meeting so please say ‘Hello’ if you haven’t already.

Headlines from Annual General Meeting May 25th

Thanks to all who attended the AGM and for your active participation.

The Minutes are in preparation and will be circulated.

There were three ‘action’ items:  Revised Constitution, Xmas Lunch and Workshop Visits and these will be progressed as agreed.

Headlines from Meeting May 11th

A while ago we mentioned that we were looking to perhaps share with Huddersfield in having Terry Smart of Chestnut come up and do demonstrations for both Clubs. Terry has suggested that he could perhaps do an on-line demo. After consideration, we have declined the offer.

The next meeting is our AGM . We are proposing to have a pie and  pea lunch after the AGM so members will be contacted a week or so before hand to establish who is/not attending so that  the appropriate number of pies can be obtained.

Headlines from Meeting April 27th

No particular headlines this week. 

Headlines from Meeting April 13th

No ‘Parish Notes’ for this week due to unforeseen circumstances. 

John had circulated a note about the jars which Eric has offered- please reply to John re those.

Headlines from Meeting March 30th

Eric has successfully re-sharpened the problem 2” Forstner bit so, for the moment at least, we don’t need to buy a replacement. Special thanks to Eric for doing this.

As a result of our on-going (re)organisation of the storage area we have a surplus of ‘worm screws’ and 3” Axminster faceplates – available to members at knockdown prices – see David B if interested.

During set-up for the meeting, we had an unfortunate incident where a lathe tipped over whilst being brought out of the kitchen area.  A very swift intervention by another member stopped the lathe going over completely but even so severe bruising, requiring a visit to A&E, resulted.

To repeat an earlier message therefore:  when moving lathes, there MUST at all times be 2 members, one at each end, to ensure that the tipping danger is minimised.

Headlines from Meeting March 16th

The recent Insurance renewal has provoked us into looking at our AWGB membership.  It would seem that very few of us are AWGB members. We will continue to investigate the benefits of the Club being an Associate Member.

The Church has a new Wi-fi router. The log in details will be displayed on the inside of the storage room door.

The 6” face-plate has now arrived and is on the storage screw below the smaller ones at the rear of the new shelf – we continue to develop our new storage area(s)

The 2 Record Large Bowl Turning attachments and another face-plate have been sold on Ebay for the benefit of Club funds.

After some discussion re the 2” Forstner bit it was agreed that Eric will try re-sharpening it and if this fails we will buy a new one – single bit not a full set.

Headlines from Meeting March 2nd

To follow on from last meeting’s note re ‘Safety,’ John R noticed an article in the Huddersfield Examiner re a person who died as a result of being struck by a piece coming off a lathe

NOTE: the latest Newsletter from Chestnut Products has a section on the same theme but quotes 2 deaths and a nasty injury – and advocates the use of face shields

Two long coats donated by Roger on the front table, no takers today and they will be going.

Eric and Clifford are making good progress on the storage area.  The toolbox and faceplate mountings are now in place.

Just a reminder: the Newark Show is next Friday and Saturday (10th & 11th).

Headlines from Meeting February 16th

Big thank you to Eric and Clifford who are still making good progress with the new shelving in the storeroom.

Last meeting we had a near-accident with an out-of-balance piece causing a lathe to really jump around as a result of the lathe being started with the speed set quite high.  Fortunately there were no injuries and no damage but it serves as a reminder that it is good practice to always turn the speed control back to zero when stopping the lathe and absolutely essential to start from stationary with any piece which is likely to be out of balance.

Late News: John has arranged for Ian Clarkson to be our Demonstrator for the session on 14th September.

Headlines from Meeting February 2nd

Eric and Clifford are making good progress with the new shelving in the storeroom. We’ll continue with the re-arrangement of the storage area over the coming weeks.

A further 4-prong centre has been sold on Ebay for the benefit of Club funds

We have decided to reduce the number of sets of ‘Club’ tools and the surplus ones are available to Members at £8 each

We’re very pleased to confirm that both Philip Bastey and Roger Malinski have now joined the Club – welcome to both

A smock and full length coat donated by Roger are available on the front table

The front door to the Hall is currently not useable – access has to be by the side or back door

John R circulated the news of Snainton’s closing down at the end of March. It was observed that they have been significant sponsors at the Harrogate show in the past.

John has also added the latest Stiles & Bates catalogue to the bookshelf.

Headlines from Meeting January 19th

The 6” faceplate is out of stock at RDG at the moment so arrival delayed – Axminster have them but much more expensive so we’ll wait.

British Hardwoods open day on 4th February is 10-00 to 16-00.

If anyone has any old garden shears they no longer need then Phillip would appreciate them as he’s creating a metal sculpture of a vulture and the old blades make ideal feathers.

Headlines from Meeting January 12th

The Christmas Buffet was widely thought to have been a great success and Members were well satisfied with the food quantity and quality. Overall the organisation worked very well – some tweaks for a next time – may be less ‘pastry’ items and we need to give some thought to a better way of clearing up and washing up. The Members gave a resounding vote of thanks to David and John R for all their hard work in putting on a great event, for Carole and Robin for providing the Xmas cake and a special mention for John R who proved to be a star ‘washer up’ as well !!

The price to Members for the buffet was the same as the bought-in cost but the Raffle was well supported and this covered all the ‘extras’  – soft drinks, cake and cheese, gifts for Carole and Robin etc etc. We finished with a small surplus.

The Cups, Certificates – and cash prizes ! – were presented to Steve H and Roger who were not at the Buffet

After some discussion it was agreed that we would purchase a 6” faceplate (M33 X 3.5)

John R has now arranged for the December Demonstration , Rick Dobney will do the demonstration and judging for us (as planned for 2022).

The next British Hardwoods open day is Saturday 4th February – times to be confirmed.

 The Midlands Woodworking show has been confirmed as 10/11th March (Friday and Saturday) 10-00 until 16-00 both days

 We have sold 2 of the surplus 4-prong drives on Ebay for Club funds

Headlines from Meeting December 15th

Today’s focus was on the Xmas lunch and the presentation of Awards.

Massive thank you to David assisted by John and others for putting on such an excellent feast. Everyone enjoyed themselves in a very relaxed atmosphere with plenty of food – and even a takeaway service at the end.

Thanks to Mick for his Xmas quiz and cracker jokes.

Many thanks to Carole and Robin for all their help throughout the year.

Congratulations to Robin on a fantastic performance raising over £2,500 for charity through Reindeer, Coffee jar lights and many more ideas over the year.

Headlines from Meeting December 1st

With the unfortunate news on Monday morning that our scheduled Demonstrator was ill and unable to come John R did some speedy work and we were very pleased to be able to get Colin Watson to both demonstrate and judge the competition

Xmas lunch bookings now complete. There will be 25 of us for the buffet on 15th December.  David B will email confirmation of times etc in the week of the lunch

The surplus Record faceplates which were in the cupboard have been  listed on Ebay and so far one has sold bringing £23 for Club Funds. The cupboard raised £10.

We have 2 Record Bowl Outrigger units which will also be sold. They are still available new at £110 + delivery so will hopefully bring us a reasonable sum.

Note:  if any member with a Record lathe is interested in either a faceplate or one of the Outriggers – they fit CL3 or CL4 –  let David B know ASAP for a special deal!

Results of 2022 Club Competition

Bob Boyce Trophy

Winner Paul Wheeler

Second Rod Dinsdale

Doug Haig Trophy for Beginners

No entries received

Gerry Yates Trophy – Intermediate

Winner Roger Campbell

Second Dennis Carr

John Boyle – Advanced

Winner Stephen Hartley

Second Clifford Clarke

Link to results from earlier years here

Headlines from Meeting November 24th

The Harrogate Show seemed to go well – most members attending seemed to have exceeded their planned spending! 

Terry Smart of Chestnut Products was asked about doing a demo for us. He is booked all of 2023 but would be willing to come to Wyke. We will check with Huddersfield Club and see if they are interested in making it a 2-demo trip for efficiency.

Chestnut also announced the date for their ‘Woodturning Weekender 4’ which will be 5th & 6th August and will be at Heywood Civic Centre. More details when available – or register on www.woodturningweekender.co.uk to get them direct.

The Church have asked if we could move our 5th January meeting. We agreed to move this to 12th January and to leave the rest of the schedule as is.   

Reminder that the last date for booking for the Christmas Buffet is at next week’s meeting.

Would the competition winners from last year please bring the trophies back next week.

Next meeting on 1 Dec:

Demonstration by Rick Dobney* starting at 12-00

Also Annual Club Competition – to be judged by Rick*

It would be appreciated if entries could be brought in for 11-30 so as not to impact the demonstration.

* Late News Rick Dobney is unexpectedly unavailable. Colin Watson has stepped up in his place.

Headlines from Meeting November 10th

John R has completed the Calendar for 2023. This has been circulated and the website updated.

The Reindeer for the Church are now all complete – 21 in total – thanks to Robin, assisted by Lee making components and other elves helping with the assembly.

It was agreed that Terry Smart of Chestnut Products should be contacted (may be at the Harrogate Show) about doing a possible demonstration next year.

Just to confirm the rules for for our Christmas competition:

Members can enter 2 pieces of any style or type into the ‘general’ competition and a further 2 pieces into the Bob Boyce competition. More details can be found here

Headlines from Meeting October 27th

The sounds of hammering coming from the kitchen area today have been Robin and helpers assembling the Reindeer which we are making for the Church Christmas fair !

Details – with a booking slip – for our Christmas Buffet have been circulated. An early return would be appreciated

John R has been sorting out next year’s Meeting dates and the schedule will be circulated soon.  We are arranging NOT to have a meeting the week of the Great Yorkshire Show.

The first demo is planned for 27th April. This will be from Andy James. He’s from between Newark and Sheffield and new to demonstrating in our area.

Headlines from Meeting October 13th

We have confirmed a caterer for our Christmas buffet (North’s SK from Commercial Street Brighouse) The price will be £13/head and details and a booking form will be circulated before the next meeting. After some discussion it was decided that we will have soft drinks only with the buffet.

The Record lathe sold on Ebay and, after Ebay/Paypal deductions, the Club got £326.70. The deductions were higher than hoped for because of the lathe not selling under the reduced fee offer.

The meeting after next (i.e. 10th November) we plan on taking out the steel cupboard from the store-room in preparation for installing the shelves. Anyone interested in the cupboard please let David B know at the next meeting.

John R has recently circulated a note from Taylor’s of Mirfield confirming that they are now stockists of Axminster chucks and accessories (note that, for the moment, it does seem to be chucks and accessories only not the full Axminster range) 

Headlines from Meeting September 29th

The surplus books remaining after today’s meeting will be disposed of.

Next on our ‘Clear out’ agenda are DVD’s ! We have quite a few, some of them are Club-produced ones of Demonstrations at the Club and some seem to be (probably illicit) copies of Commercially produced ones. They haven’t ‘seen the light of day’ for several years so time they were gone. Available on the side table this meeting and next. Take any you want – small donation appreciated

 The Record lathe is again listed on Ebay – this time at £385.  There has been some interest including one person who doesn’t want the stand. We agreed to offer £25 reduction without it

 Note:  the Auction ended without a bid so will reduce the price slightly and make it open to offers

Headlines from Meeting September 15th

New caterer found for our Christmas buffet on 15th December. David is working through settling the menu with Tony Ellis the owner of North’s SK on Commercial Street in Brighouse.

We’ve recently done a review of the books we had in our library and have ‘weeded out’ the ones which aren’t really directly connected to woodturning.  John has updated the list in the loan book and Gerry has done the list on the website. The surplus books are available for any member who wants them – a £1 donation for Club funds please !

The  Record lathe has yet to be relisted on Ebay – awaiting a good opportunity.

Headlines from Meeting September 1st

The lady who was going to do the catering for our Christmas buffet has now said the she can no longer do anything other that a cold buffet which she would have to deliver before 10-00. After a short discussion we agreed that we’d find another caterer.

Mary’s perseverance in trying to arrange for our Bank Account to allow online access has succeeded – and also netted a notable amount from the Bank to the club as compensation for their poor service. Well done, Mary!!

The surplus Record lathe has been listed on Ebay but no takers at the asking or at the relisted price. Will be relisted after a pause.

The spec for this year’s Bob Boyce competition is as below – we’ve gone for a different approach to the competition this year:

 +++++

Bob Boyce Trophy 2022

The piece this year is to be offset/ multi axis turned

The only restriction is that the maximum dimension , either height or width – is 30cm

Other than that Members are free to choose either ‘spindle’ or ‘bowl’ orientation – or a mixture !!

 Any wood , single or multi-piece

The objective is to demonstrate both skill and imagination in the entry

++++++

Fascinating demonstration from Colin Watson aka The Crazy Woodman, of making Basket Illusion bowls and platters – a technique involving turning, pyrography and colouring that seems to require immense patience, accuracy and either good eyesight or a strong light and serious glasses!

Headlines from Meeting August 18th

December Demonstration and Competition Day moved to December 1st at the request of the Church to allow them to run their Christmas Food bank and family support week. 

The Record lathe has now been listed on Ebay (taking advantage of a reduced fees offer).

Over the past couple of weeks John R has circulated details of:

Harrogate Show

Snainton Record sale promotion

Taylors Mirfield abrasive promotion

Roger said we can’t get the lathes out – the ceiling’s come down ………

Headlines from Meeting August 4th

All quiet – no special notices this meeting

Headlines from Meeting July 21st

The new lathe, and ancillaries, were delivered as planned.  The lathe has been mounted on the stand made by Eric (very many thanks to Eric) and will now replace the long-bed Record.  The Record will be sold on Ebay at the next opportunity.

We have booked a caterer for the Christmas Buffet.  This is a lady who has done buffets at Wooldale so is known to some of us (Steve H, Mel and David B). Details of proposed menu and cost have been emailed to members.

After 11 years of membership Colin  B has decided to resign from the Club.  Colin has been a great member and will be missed. He was one of the key people with the Audio Visual equipment so we’ll be looking for a replacement ! He was also on the Appeals Committee.

As a Club we did very well at the Great Yorkshire Show, with Eric, Steve H and Clifford taking 3 of the 5 Woodturning prizes plus Steve H and June Harding also winning awards in the Woodcarving section. Congratulations to all! 

Headlines from Meeting July 7th

The new lathe is to be ordered next week and will be brought to the Club for the next meeting (21st July).  Eric has completed the stand for it and that will be here at the same time.The bed extension is being ordered at the same time as the lathe and a check has confirmed that it will fit all of our Axminster lathes.

Rationalisation of Morse 1 accessories underway now we have only one lathe with M1 tailstock.

Some Woodturning magazines on the front courtesy of Mick. Also some tools and abrasives also from Mick (Thanks !) – donations to Club funds

Reminder re subs:  anyone paying by ‘6 months in advance’ who hasn’t yet paid please do so ASAP.

Headlines from Meeting June 23rd

Confirmation that the Xmas lunch will be a buffet in the Church Hall on 15th December, no decision yet on whether we will use an outside caterer or if we will do it ourselves.

John R has recently circulated details of:

  Taylor’s of Mirfield Open Day on 16th July 09-30 to 16-00

  Northern Woodworking Show Friday 11th to Sunday 13th November

 Eric has completed the stand for the new lathe, we plan on ordering the lathe in the near future  (probably for delivery Meeting of 21st July)

Note re Subs:  for those who pay by cheque 6 months in advance the next payment is due at the next meeting – July 7th

Update re Christmas Lunch

Following discussions at the 9th June meeting, consensus seems to be to have a buffet lunch in the Church Hall. In line with the Church’s rules this would have to be a non-alcoholic event. Actual date in December to be confirmed.

Reminder about Christmas Lunch decision

Following up the discussion at the AGM and David’s email about the Christmas Lunch this year, we need to decide which option we want to follow. Decision date is set for not later than the next meeting ie 9th June. If you want to let David know sooner than that, by email, that would help.

The options are:

A  – no Christmas lunch

B –  Guide Post Hotel, Poppy Suite, format as for last year(s)

C –  Buffet lunch in the Church Hall. Possibly using outside caterers

Note: If you would not plan on attending then please indicate ‘A’ – none , so that we don’t end up with choosing an option that is thought to be the best option but which few attend !

Demonstrators confirmed for 2022

Update from John on the remaining demonstration meetings for this year:

1st September – Colin Watson (crazy woodman)

8th December – Rick Dobney will be demonstrating and will also judge the annual competition. https://rickdobney.uk/

Thanks to John for arranging these.

Headlines from Meeting May 5th

A warm welcome to new member Chris.

Our next meeting is the AGM which will start at 12:00.

The current list of items under AOB is:

1 Decision on new lathe

2 The Christmas Lunch arrangements

3 Club competitions

We’ll be having a pie-and-pea lunch so please confirm by Saturday 14th if you are coming to the AGM so we know how many pies to get !

Headlines from Meeting April 21st

David has circulated a recommendation paper for the new lathe. We should decide on this on or before the AGM on May 19th.

Thanks to Frank for bringing in some yew logs for sale to members in aid of club funds.

Reminder that the closing date for the Yorkshire Show – entry forms must be in to the show organisers before May 3rd. Entry information here https://outerturningcircle.co.uk/useful-links#great-yorkshire-show-2022 (best viewed on PC).

For information – Doncaster Woodturning Club is doing an All-day Event on July 23rd which will be a double hander with Emma Cook (The Tiny Turner) and Rick Dobney. The event will be held in Finningley Village Hall (DN9 3DA) and will run from 10.00am to 4.00pm. A buffet lunch is included in the ticket price of £10.  Tea and coffee will also be available all day.

Headlines from Meeting April 7th

A reminder that it is the British Hardwoods open day THIS SATURDAY – April 9th

The AGM will be on May 19th.  We plan on providing lunch – almost certainly pie and peas – so we’ll be checking for numbers nearer the time

Headlines from Meeting March 24th

David’s note re reaction between Superglue and foam was sent to Chestnut Products – and was included in their weekly Newsletterhttps://chestnutproducts.co.uk/superglue-special/

Thanks to John B’s exceptional efforts we are very grateful to have received a further grant from the Masonic Charity which will allow us to replace one of the last two Record lathes with a new Axminster lathe.

Headlines from Meeting March 10th

John R has confirmed our Demonstrator for April 21st will be Pete Osborn.

Because of the April demonstration, the AGM will be postponed to probably the end of May.

Headlines from Meeting February 24th

Point for consideration and further discussion:   should we have a mid-year competition? No change to the Annual Competition(s) but something to work for mid-year.

FYI : British Hardwoods have an Open Day on Saturday 9th April starting at 10.am.

Headlines from Meeting February 10th

The new website is up and running on the old address “outerturningcircle.co.uk” which is the one we will maintain going forward. Any links to the “.com” version should now be deleted. Thanks to Roger and Gerry for setting the new format up and of course very many thanks to Peter for all his work over the last 5 years in building up the old site and the wealth of pictures we now have transferred over.

We have been asked by Stanbury Village School if we would again assist with the ‘Wizarding School’ they are planning to hold in June. Suggestion is we make them some wizard wands as before. Discussions ongoing.

Headlines from Meeting January 27th

New Axminster lathe is a now fully commissioned and ready to use.

Following the decision to move our financial year end to 31st March, the AGM will be scheduled for a date to be advised in late April or early May.

Covid Precautions

Our Covid approach is:

 a) All attendees must have had all available ‘jabs’ (at least 3) and be free of any symptoms

b) Anyone with symptoms or who has tested positively should follow Government Guidance

c) We will attempt to let in as much fresh air as possible during our meetings

d) Wearing a face mask or face covering is a personal choice

FYI: As of 1st April, in general, Lateral Flow Test Kits are no longer provided free of charge by the NHS. Exceptions do exist and those eligible are made aware directly by the NHS. Lateral Flow Test Kits can be purchased at some pharmacies and retailers, in person or online.